REGION 42 REFEREE POINTS SYSTEM
In order to facilitate a positive AYSO experience for the youth in Region 42, we strive to
provide certified referees for each game at U7 or above. Our goal is to provide one
center referee for the U7 & U8 games and a team of three referees for the competitive
divisions; U10, U12 & U14. To allow us to achieve this goal we need in excess of
150 referee slots to be filled each week. In order to ensure that we have the referee
slots filled we need each team to provide us with volunteer referees.
For the past several years our region has used a point system to reward teams that
supply adult referees for our games. Each team is asked to supply at least one adult
referee (preferably new, and preferably not the coach) for the season. As your team's
coach it is very important for you to encourage parents to volunteer for this opportunity.
Points earned by a team's adult referee are added to the team's total points and therefore will affect standings.
Youths 12 to 17 years old are also highly encouraged to referee. Certified youth referees can
earn points toward a separate incentive program. Certified youth referees do not earn points for
IMPORTANT - In Region 42 our U7/8 divisions are intended to be responsible for their own officiating. Referee point will not be awarded for U7/8 center referee assignments at any time during the season. Youth referees will continue to be incentivized to take U7/8 assignments.
Referees are AYSO volunteers and must complete their
Volunteer Registration on the eAYSO web site.
Coaches are responsible for ensuring that all of their volunteers meet
this obligation. Referees who have not registered as volunteers will not be able to take
part in AYSO games and therefore will not be able to earn points for their teams.
details of the points system
- Teams that have an adult referee representing them can earn up to a maximum 15 points
- Teams can earn a maximum of 2 points per week.
- Teams can have multiple adult referees representing them for points. In those situations, adjustments will not be permitted because multiple referees do not coordinate their referee assignments to meet the 2 points per week team maximum.
- Referees & assistant referees earn one point each per game
- Referee points will be added to the team's total points in the standings
- Coaches are responsible for verifying that their referees are earning points
- Requests to review Referee point totals may be submitted up until week 8 of the season. After week 8, point review requests can not be accepted.
- All coaches should forward their referees name(s) to our region's
Referee Administrator: Carol Rowe
information for referees
- New referees must complete the Online Safe Have course and a referee clinic. The Newbury Park clinics for 2012 will be (1) Basic Referee clinic (required to earn team points) on August 24 & 25, and (2) a U8 Clinic on August 29. A Basic Referee training class is also available with a mandatory companion class held on September 4th. Please see the details on courses being hosted in Newbury Park.
A list of other available clinics in the area is posted on our referee clinics page, and in the calendar on the Area 10E website.
- Volunteers already certified as AYSO referees do not need to repeat the clinics. (You must have completed Safe Haven training in the past 2 years.)
- Training and uniforms are free to Region 42 volunteers.
- All referees must complete an eAYSO volunteer form on the eAYSO.org website. If you volunteered in 2011, you can edit you information on line and electronically sign your volunteer forms; you will not need to print any copies. All NEW volunteers (those who did not volunteer in 2011) should print out and sign TWO copies and have IDs checked when turning them in to their coach or referee staff.
- All referees will be required to register with our on-line scheduling program. This allows them to schedule games around their own needs. The referee will also be able to assign a team affiliation for the point system.
- On a normal game day we typically have a few open slots that have not been scheduled in the on line system. Referees filling in for a second game can earn a point for that game as long as they enter their details on the master schedule at the referee tent. - Note : Teams can earn a maximum of 2 referee points per week.
- Youth referees (younger than 18 yrs) who have completed the upgrade process and are Intermediate level or higher can represent a team for points.
- Referee points will not be awarded for center referee assignments in U7/8.
If you have any questions or need clarification please send an e-mail to
and a staff member will contact you directly.
Thank you for supporting youth soccer and the referee program.
Region 42 Referee Administrator
This page last updated:
August 21, 2012